Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Think Monday Think ATC: Summer Solstice




SATURDAY NIGHT SOLSTICE FEVER

Digital collage 8ins x 8 ins

June has been a fallow month for me digitally as I've been concentrating on my garden and other outdoor jobs. To kick start me into action once more, I thought I'd do a challenge. This little layout began life as a response to this week's Think Monday Think ATC challenge title: Summer Solstice. The subject matter attracted me because it reminded me of my wonderful friends in Lithuania, where they know how to celebrate the Solstice, being one of the last countries in Europe to convert to from Paganism to Christianity.
The photograph, although purchased from a street market in Kaunas, Lithuania, was actually taken in the studio 0f S.Antonoff, Grecia 312, Montevideo, Uruguay. There is some very feint, almost illegible writing on the back. If you look carefully, you'll see that they have a little mascot dog with them on the table!
Like I said, it was going to be an ATC... but it grew. I could chop the edges off to fit the challenge, but it wouldn't look so jolly.

Credits: Background paper (modified), word art and green flower in woman's hair from the Saturday Night Fever kit by Moonscraps; photo background from Midsummer Day and Eve Sun and Star foil Elements pack available from Miss Crow's Magickal Emporium.
The photograph from my personal collection.



15 comments:

Taluula said...

I saw this across at Quirks but it's certainly worth a second look. Gorgeous.

DMG said...

LOVE the title of this ATC and their deadpan faces are hilarious in this context!

Moon Scraps said...

Very very interesting concept for a digiscrap, congrats.

Eila A said...

I'd like to join them for a toast to the Summer Solstice! And I'm sure their party will grow wilder as the night grows older. Lovely card!

Martina said...

Wonderful ATC !

Sandra said...

Looks like a real party :-)
and especially with the doggie mascotte!
Great depth you've created here, love the concept too.

Tumble Fish Studio said...

There you go again! Another stunner! Looks like an album cover or CD cover for some very cool swanky band. Wonderful work that really catches my attention. You are so dang talented.

Thanks again for the messages and emails. I am still so far behind on catching up and readjusting to life at home again. If I'm flaky a couple of weeks, I think I have in my head that I will be on top of everything after the next trip and just surviving until then. So, mid-July I hope to be normal again. Thanks for all of your support and friendship and understanding. It truly helps . . . along with some very inspiring blog visits over here!

marsha

Anonymous said...

Beautiful collage

pondlife said...

The world needs more Pagans !!

Very envious of your seeing Banksy exhibit, might just fly over for that.

;)

Gaby Bee said...

This collage is gorgeous. Love especially the vivid colors. Great job!
Gaby xo

katrin said...

it's fantastic collage!

Unknown said...

I'm loving the little green flower in her hair ... and I'm thinking these somber people better drink that first glass and move along to a second one pretty quick.

I love the solstice :) ... the summer one that is

Nancy B said...

This is beautiful and I love their expressions. They don't seem to be very happy to share that glass of wine.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

These people are very interesting looking! Great take on the theme.

Amysout said...

So it grew from an ATC idea? I can see why you chose not to chop off the edges & enjoyed looking for that little dog!