Thursday, September 10, 2009

Work in progress: Clumber Street Shrine





CLUMBER STREET SHRINE

centre panel: work in progress

click here for larger image

I'm finding that regarding what I'm doing as placing objects in boxes, rather than laying them on a page, to be incredibly creatively liberating. The image posted here doesn't specifically imply the interior of a box, it's just a state of mind. This might echo back to the twenty-odd years that I spent working as a Theatrical Designer, making 1:25 scale set models.

Two days ago, I began working on a new piece, but, as often happens, something caught my eye and set me off on a completely different trail. The image above is work in progress and will be the central panel of a triptych developed from two photographs purchased twenty five years ago in Nottingham. The postcard is from my last French Trip stash and was purchased in a village flea market.




7 comments:

MrCachet said...

The image looks like it was shot with a Holga camera.

lynne h said...

wow, this is mysteriously wonderful, lumi... and the photo with the swans... oh my goodness. i love swans. and i love this green... xo

Supria Karmakar said...

I love the colours and light in this..can't wait to see the finished product...also I say "YES" do try encaustics I think you would love it...I am also using a lot of boxes, shrines in my work and I completely love the layered look it gives a piece....enjoy..thanks for the latest comment and visit : )
S

Lori Saul said...

Gorgeous up close! Wonderful layering effect- it's like looking through a silk curtain. I look forward to the finished triptych- I really love the way you are letting this unfold in time!

Caterina Giglio said...

something... often catches my eye and sets me off in a new direction, so glad I am not alone in that new direction chasing thingy that I do!
love the mysteriousness and the scissors create so many stories in my head!

deb said...

I'm really entranced by this image, and frankly I've been in such a funk lately I am very grateful to you for a little bright jolt!

Linda Vincent said...

I was walking down Clumber Street in Nottingham last Saturday. It always smells of the Lush shop these days!
Very mysterious piece...can't wait to see more.
Linda x