Monday, September 13, 2010

TOUCH





TOUCH

digital print
IPhone 3GS shot of erotic film-clip, cropped and processed iPhone 3GS
Textures by Les Brumes

Last week, we received notification that our planning application had been passed and so now, it's full-steam ahead! In front of our house, there are four tons of gravel that will be the new base and surround for our tool shed when we move it 2 metres further down the garden, to the very back of the plot where my studio is to stand. Sadly, the Honeysuckle has had to go because when the space was clear enough to allow us to measure up and draw an accurate plan, we realised that there was not enough room for my studio and the shed unless the studio was: 1. orientated across the plot rather than lengthways and 2. situated a lot closer to the pool/bog than we had originally intended. John, the unflappable gentleman whose company is building and installing my studio, coped very well with my panic attack and drew up a revised set of drawings in the hour he had before leaving work for a week's holiday. The new arrangement will be better because the the building will be wide and shallow, rather than narrow and deep, so more natural light should get into the space.




Those of you who have been asking how I make my iPhone collages may wish to purchase the Autumn edition of Somerset Digital Studio where I reveal some of the Apps and techniques that I use. In the side bar on the right, you'll find a link to where you can order a copy. Writing the tutorial was a challenge as I'd been asked to recreate a specific collage: one of my first. By some good fortune, the images that made up each stage of the collage's development had somehow escaped several hard-drive clear-outs, but I still had to recall and retread every step of what was quite a fiddly and complex process. I hope to write more tutorials: if you get sight of a copy, do please send me some feedback!

17 comments:

Caterina Giglio said...

congratulations.... dear one!! I will have to go to the book store and drool over your published work.
I had the a similar thing happen with a piece of art that I sent Somerset years ago, forgot to copy it and could not remember what I had sent them and they wanted INSTRUCTIONS ha!!! xx's

Nettie Edwards said...

Oh nooo! That's like one of my nightmares! How are you Lovely? I'm just off to your lace to find out!

Deb said...

Your absolutely fabulous article is what compelled me to spend a small fortune on the magazine! And well worth it; I immediately went to work adding the apps you used and making my first iphone collage.
I love your work. You can see my creation here: http://glisteninthesunshine.blogspot.com
Thank you, thank you for such wonderful inspiration.
Deborah Downing

Nettie Edwards said...

Hi Deb! I'm delighted that my tutorial inspired you and love what you have done! Keep me posted with your progress!

Carol Q said...

I thought it was fascinating. I never realised you could achieve so much with an iphone and having just bought an ipod had a play. It's obviously more limited but definitely full of possibilities!

Cynthia Monica said...

Congratulations on approval to begin your studio! How fabulous for you and how exciting! Hope you will fill us in on the progress as it happens!

Unknown said...

I don't have an iPhone - but seeing you work makes me want one! congratulations on being published in your expertise ... and building a new studio!

Taluula said...

Well done Lumi

Tumble Fish Studio said...

Hhhhhhiiiiii, Lumi! It's me from over the sea . . . literally. I know it's been soooooo long since I've been by. I've been in a fuzzy fog for a long time since my dad died. But with another curve ball thrown at me with my son having some trouble, I have snapped out of it. That mother instinct that makes you do what you have to. The good news is that I am awake again, working a lot, and reconnecting with life in general.

I've been dying to come over for several days and tell you . . . there I was, standing in Borders bookstore grabbing my pile of new Somerset magazines and got a big fat smile on my face to see your article and gorgeous work in the Digital Studio. Though I can hardly buy one of the Somerset magazines without knowing someone in it anymore, the experience of seeing someone's work featured and showcased is exciting and heartwarming every single time. I have a special affection for you and your work and so it was doubly thrilling to see you featured. Huge congratulations!

Obviously, I am way behind on you but am going to take a little bit of time to see what some of what I've missed before I leave. I just wanted you to know I was thinking of you . . .
marsha

Kate England said...

Congratulations on your fantastic news, both the progression on your studio (despite the sacrifice of the honeysuckle), and having your tutorial published!!! I've just ordered a copy of the magazine and can't wait to get it!

Thanks for your inspiration!!!

Harnett-Hargrove said...

Just tripped down your page. There is a resonance here! -J

Suzie Grogan said...

I sooo love your work! I even went in to see when my current contact ends on my Samsung phone! My son has an iPhone and I covet it daily...
'Touch' is so atmospheric.

Debrina said...

Good on you getting published (I think that's AGAIN, isn't it?). Touch is just divine btw.

Unknown said...

Just wondering how you are. I imagine your are knee deep in construction and writing up new tutorials ;)

I have new interest in your realm of expertise as I have a new iPad .... Maybe it's not quite as versatile with photos just yet .... But I know they're writing new software all the time .... Yay for the geniuses :)

Lori Saul said...

I think it is brilliant what you have created with your iPhone. I have seen your art grow and expand in depth and expression. You have always had a magical essence to your art and the quality of this new medium had expanded the enchantment! Lovely!

GalleryJuana said...

I found your blog through the feature in Somerset.
Inspiring tutorial! I had no idea what could be done with the iphone photo apps.

Hope your studio building is coming out just like you want it.

Michelle McGee said...

I found you in the Somerset magazine and was thrilled to see that you had a tutorial for designing on the iPhone. YAY! I have very little time to do the things I once loved - like digital scrapbooking. But I have my phone with me always and am excited about the possibilities now. I bought every app you highlighted and am about to follow your entire tutorial with an image of my own. Thanks so much!!!
BTW, love your blog, melancholia and all. I tend to be a bit of a melancholic person as well and have struggled off and on with anxiety and depression. I talk about it some in my writing at www.moxiemomma.com. Again, thanks for sharing your inspiring work with the world.
Believe,
Michelle